Find out if you qualify!
You and your partner are both aged 18 or over at the date of application.
- Your partner has no relation to you in a way that means you could not marry in UK laws;
- You and your partner have been in a de facto relationship, as well as living at the same address for at least 2 years;
- Your relationship is genuine and subsisting (It is a current, long-term relationship and you are living together with your partner and share responsibility for any children. You have to share financial responsibilities (mortgage or tenancy agreement, a joint bank account or joint savings, and utility bills in both your names). You and your partner have met other partner’s parents in their home. You have made plans about living together in the UK with your partner. if you are married or in a civil partnership, your marriage or civil partnership is valid in UK law;
- You and Your partner intend to permanently live in UK.
Your application will NOT be considered as suitable, if
- the Home Secretary has decided that it would be in the public interest for you to be excluded from the UK;
- you are to be deported;
- you have been sentenced to more than 12 months in prison
- if you have been sentenced and your conviction is not yet spent ;
- your character is unsuitable for public;
- you have not attended an interview, provided information, had a medical examination or produced a medical report upon request;
- there are medical reasons why you should not be allowed to enter the UK;
- you have provided false information or documents or not provided relevant information;
- you have NHS charges of more than £1000 that have not been paid;
- you do not provide a maintenance and accommodation undertaking when they are requested.
- You have been sentenced to more than 4 years in prison;
- you have been sentenced to more than 12 months but less than 4 years in prison, unless it is more than 15 years since the end of your sentence;
- because you have been sentenced to less than 12 months in prison, unless it is more than 7 years since the end of your sentence;
- in the last 2 years you have been convicted of or admitted to an offence that is recorded on your criminal record;
- you are a persistent offender who has shown particular disregard for the law.
Any previous relationships are permanently broken down. However, this does not apply to certain polygamous relationships.
Financial requirements for sponsor
You must have an income of at least £18,600 per annum.
If you are sponsoring a child as well as a partner you will need an income of at least £22,400 per annum. And an additional £2,400 per annum for each additional child being sponsored after the first one.
You will be required to provide documents to show that you can meet the financial requirement. The way you meet the requirement will be different, depending on whether you are applying from inside or outside the UK.
You will be exempt from the new financial requirement if your sponsor receives a specified disability-related benefit or carer’s allowance in the UK. You will need to show that your sponsor can maintain and accommodate you without access to public benefits.
English language requirements
English requirements for non-European applicants
- You will meet the requirement if you can show evidence that you:
- are a national of a majority English-speaking country;
- have passed an English language test approved by us at the appropriate level;
- hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or above.
You do not need to meet the English language requirement if you provide satisfactory evidence that:
- you are aged 65 or over at the time of your application;
- you have a physical or mental condition that would prevent you from meeting the requirement;
- there are exceptional compassionate circumstances that would prevent you from meeting the requirement.
Extended stay or permanent settlement
if you are in the UK and want to extend your leave or apply for settlement in the UK you will need to meet the suitability requirement.
Length of stay
If you are applying from outside the UK
If your visa application is successful, the length of stay will be 33 months. Shortly before the end of that period, you can apply for leave to remain in the UK. If you still meet the requirements you will be granted permission to stay for a further period of 30 months. Once you have completed 5 years in the UK, as a partner of someone who is a British citizen or settled in the UK, you can apply to settle here (ILR).
If you are applying from inside the UK
If your application is successful, the length of stay will be 30 months. Shortly before the end of that period, you can apply for leave to remain in the UK. If you still meet the requirements you will be granted permission to stay for a further period of 30 months. Once you have completed 5 years in the UK, as the partner of someone who is a British citizen or settled in the UK, you can apply to settle here.
To find out if you qualify, fill in our free assessment form!